Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Power of Music




I believe that music has the power to bring people together.

It was August 10th, 2008, and like every Sunday, I had choir practice. I noticed a new person joining choir. As I took my seat, I stared across the room at “the new guy”. He had his hair down, covering his forehead, but it slightly swayed to the right. His eyes looked puffy, and his face gave me a feeling of mystery.
Naturally I thought, “What’s this guy doing here?” as I sat amongst the scuttlebutt of my friends. Maybe he was here for a friend, or perhaps, we shared the same love for giving back to God through music: just like how everyone in the church congregation sings all the hymns together.

Later in the year, I added his MySpace. I noticed that he had a couple of songs that I enjoyed on it. We chatted for a while on there, and I admit, I grew a bit interested in him.

Around that time, I recently got dumped by my boyfriend. I tried to cope with that pain. All my friends tried to cheer me up, but nothing worked.

Another Sunday came, and I saw him again. This time, he brought his guitar. I just sat in the corner in my misery, while he was gathered with his friends in another corner. He started to play a song that sounded highly familiar: “I’m yours” by Jason Mraz. I felt calm and relaxed, as if the guitar playing soothed me like a nice peaceful day on the beach. Suddenly, I heard a voice -- an unfamiliar voice that I’ve never heard before. I looked over to where the music seemed to be coming from. I was shocked. The sight of him singing seemed so quixotic to me. I began to smile a little, and happiness soon triggered my heart. I forgot about all my problems and sadness. His voice made my heart melt like ice cream on a boiling summer day. He seemed to be my panacea.

Later that day, I went on his MySpace to tell him about his amazing voice, when I noticed he added a new song: “Say” by John Mayer. The lyrics said “say what you need to say” and I took it as a sign.

On October 8th, 2008, I did as the song said. I asked him out, and we’re still together to this day: almost two years later.

Music can bring people of different cultures and beliefs together. From crowds of people singing the anthem for the love of their country, to videos of famous artists singing to help a cause, to average day-to-day people like me and my boyfriend.

~ Kaithlyn Ruelsa Abulencia, June 8, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment